that showcase thing

Last week, I had my New York Showcase. Which feels like some huge THING even though it's just one day of our lives. For those wh...



Last week, I had my New York Showcase. Which feels like some huge THING even though it's just one day of our lives. For those who don't know: most B.F.A. and M.F.A. programs (both acting and musical theatre) have showcases for their graduating classes. These are held for agents, managers, casting directors, theatre companies, etc... basically, people who help actors get jobs. It feels like a big deal because you are in front of all of these people who can help you in your career - and if nothing comes of it, it leaves people feeling frustrated and disappointed. I've had many friends go through it in many different programs, and I finally went through it myself. I still have one more to go - in L.A. - but I feel like I am a bit on the other side now and have learned a lot already.

It was weird and the day was a blur. I wanted to be relaxed but I was anxious. I wanted it to be over with because it didn't feel like I was doing the thing I love - I felt more like a show pony. But then I got onstage and got to do the thing that makes me feel important and I felt okay. I relaxed a bit. I did okay, and one thing went wrong, but we recovered. I think I talked to some people in between the shows and after and drank a glass of wine (because I definitely deserved it), and then went home and patiently waited for that list of people who want to meet me.


I did okay. As far as showcases are concerned, Columbia seems to do pretty well in the amount of meetings people walk away with. I did about average, and got a few meetings, and I wasn't excited but I wasn't bummed. I didn't see any names on there that got my attention but hey, anyone who can get me in the right rooms is okay by me. The next day, I ended up hearing from a few other people about other opportunities, and a week later, I have had several meetings and learned ... actually a lot more than I thought I would.


The biggest thing I have learned: it only takes one meeting with one person. All you have to do is get in the room with that one person who will give you an opportunity ... and suddenly, things can change for you. If you are prepared and trained and always working to be in that room with that person, it will eventually happen when it's right.


I still have L.A. and things but all I can say is, things are good right now. I think I owe a lot of that to trusting my instincts and being kind to myself. Not stressing over the little stuff.


Hope your week was less weird than mine.


xoxo


You Might Also Like

0 comments