anne bogart-isms

SUMMER IS ALMOST OVER! So, I am currently in the process of: a) getting off-book for a bunch of stuff for school b) reading a shit ...



SUMMER IS ALMOST OVER!

So, I am currently in the process of:

a) getting off-book for a bunch of stuff for school
b) reading a shit ton of german and shakespeare plays
c) cleaning out my school stuff from last year to get ready for next year

While going through all of this, I re-read all of my notes and quotes in my notebook from my collaboration class last semester, and it completely reminded me why I fucking love Columbia.

And especially Anne Bogart. She is a genius, and taught me so much every monday. She has written a bunch of awesome books on theatre and directing, and is a pretty big deal because of, you know, VIEWPOINTS and Siti Company (you can check out her books on Amazon!).

ANYWAY, I thought I would do a fun post, and share a few of my favorite quotes from my notebook because they made me so happy. I probably paraphrased a few of these when I was exhausted on a monday morning. :)

"A good actor changes the audience's breathing."

"The enemy to being an artist is habit."

"FUCK EACH OTHER UP!"

"Don't take your feet off of the brakes to get to the accelerator."

"WHEN IN DOUBT, VIEWPOINT!"

"Don't be afraid of stillness."

"Here's the thing: life is tough, right?"

"SLOW. THE. FUCK. DOWN."

"Don't play the problem; play the solution."

"Civilization is restraint."

"Presence is most apparent in absence."

"ACTING IS HARD."

"Don't piss away your entrance."

"THE SECRET TO ACTING: If you like it a lot, it's probably wrong."



And some quotes I wrote down by other people:

"Don't move unless there is a reason to move. Desire for variety is not a good enough reason." - Brecht

"Theatre is the artform wherein human beings makes human actions worth watching." - The Necessity of Theatre



There are a million more, but I guess you will have to take a class with Anne yourself if you want more of her wisdom. ;)

I promise at least two more posts before school starts up. E-mail me at brynneerinmcmanimie@gmail.com or leave a comment if you have anything specific you would like me to talk about at some point!

xoxo

brynne

You Might Also Like

0 comments